Key Responsibilities: What Does a Customer Operations Specialist Do?
Customer operations specialists represent an entry-level position that aids the customer success and service departments in handling the technical side of CS, from having an outlook over metrics to aiding setup, implementation, integrations, and reporting.
One of the key functions of CS Ops is monitoring relevant account metrics in order to achieve customer and business goals in an efficient, data-led manner while growing customer satisfaction and fostering loyalty.
In some cases, CS Ops specialists also optimize customers’ product setups to help them better achieve their results, or at the very least, keep an eye out for such potential improvements and report them to their managers.
- Working with the customer success team to determine the best metrics to track for each assigned account or set of accounts.
- Keeping a customer account overview and monitoring metrics associated with customer satisfaction, customer goals, and business needs.
- Determining best points to intervene in the customer journey and report on churn precursors and upsell / cross-sell opportunities.
- Keeping an overview of customer products and services and closely monitoring shipping, billing, and other product or service delivery metrics to ensure the customer receives what they paid for in due time.
- Understanding the product on a technical level and knowing the people in the organization that can offer the best information related to specific product issues.
- Aggregating all relevant metrics and compiling periodic reports on customer satisfaction, company products or services, and relevant competition data.
- Interacting with clients directly as requested: reviewing customer plans, helping them pick new subscriptions or products, responding to customer inquiries or support requests, assisting with billing issues, scheduling meetings,
- Assisting customer support and success in dealing with customer service issues and requests.
- Assisting customers, customer support, or customer success with software setup and product information, including customer success software, CRM, customer service software, and any other monitoring tools the company or the customer uses.
- Assisting in the sales process by providing leads with detailed information about the company’s products and services.
Skills and Competencies
Here are the necessary skills to be a good customer operations specialist:
- Minimum 1 year of experience in Customer Success or Customer Support with proven Operations or Technical capabilities. Relevant courses / training are nice-to-have but only required by some job postings.
- Good analytical skills with the ability to identify and correlate metrics relevant to customer goals to drive customer success and contribute to the efforts of the entire team.
- Good communication, emotional intelligence, and empathy skills.
- Automation and playbook setup, automating tech-touch.
- Monitoring internal team processes.
- Monitoring customer metrics and activity.
- Good reporting skills.
- Experience communicating and reporting operational data to internal teams and higher-ups.
- Advanced IT&C knowledge and capabilities and ability to quickly learn and perform in new software environments.
Good Training Materials and ProgramsHere is a list of articles, guides, courses, and other resources that provide good training for professionals in this position:
Potential Roles to Grow into
If you’re starting from this position, here are some roles you can consider in the future: